Whether you are the type of person who loves to start your day with a hit of caffeine or enjoy a cup of joe after a long day of traveling and exploring, Siem Reap offers a wide array of cafes and coffee shops.
Popular with locals, travelers, and ex-pats the cafes highlighted below include picturesque spots, social hubs, and social enterprises.
1. Sister Srey Cafe
This is an open-aired cafe about a minute walk from the old market. The cafe plays traditional Khmer music in the background as diners enjoy a variety of local cuisine and coffee drinks, including vegan and gluten-free options. It is owned and run by two Australian sisters who use the cafe proceeds to finance charity work. Sister Srey Cafe trains their local Khmer staff in hospitality, English language skills, personal development, health, and banking in addition to providing them with the opportunity to attend university. Other charity initiatives by the cafe include supporting the important de-mining work of the Apopo organization and working to reduce plastic and recycle waste in the community.
- Location: 200 Pokambor St, Riverside – Old Market Area, Siem Reap
- Open Hours: 7:00 am- 6:00 pm
- Website: http://www.sistersreycafe.com/#sistersrey
2. The Little Red Fox Espresso
With a menu boasting a unique coffee selection that includes espresso, specialty brews, and extra shots, this eco-friendly cafe serves exquisite coffee. The cafe is equipped with air-conditioning and offers the option of purchasing their coffee beans for customers who fall in love with their coffee. Located in the Kandal area of Siem Reap, the cafe has a no-straw policy and collects plastic bags donated to Rehash Trash for recycling. A portrait of Amy Winehouse hangs above the bar. How cool is that?
Don’t be surprised to see an Espresso Martini on the menu!
- Location: 593 Hup Guan Street Mondul 1 Village Siem Reap, 17252, Cambodia
- Open Hours: 7:00 am- 5:00 pm (Thursday – Tuesday) Closed on Wednesdays
- Website: http://www.thelittleredfoxespresso.com/
3. Common Grounds
Opened in 2008, this exceptional restaurant and coffee shop has been offering a vast selection of coffee and food consisting of both western and local options at amazing prices. Common Grounds is set up so that the ambiance is ideal for formal meetings and a relaxing- casual environment. The cafe aims to make a difference with every cup of coffee sold. Both locals and visitors have applauded the cafe for its outstanding contribution in;
- Fair/Equal salary opportunities
- Supporting local artists and farmers
- Providing scholarships for further studies
- Career vocational training
- Location: 719, Mondul 1 Village, 721 Street 14, Krong Siem Reap 17252, Cambodia
- Open Hours: 7:00am- 8:00pm (except sundays)
- Website: http://commongroundscafes.org/
4. Peace Cafe
Nestled in the city’s outskirts, Peace cafe is exactly what the name suggests. Here coffee is served alongside healthy food and a wide range of vegetarian treats and snacks in a Khmer-style setting (Elevated tables and chairs). The wonderful atmosphere complimented by the decor and tropical garden makes the cycle/drive out of town completely worth it. Peace Cafe has an extensive menu from sushi to burger selections. The cafe supports the local community through its outreach programs which include donations of school supplies, clothing, and shoes to families in need in addition to community events (that are also available to visitors) such as yoga and cooking classes.
- Location: Next To Ann Kau Saa Pagoda, River Rd, Krong Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Open Hours: 7:30 am – 9:00 pm
- Website: http://www.peacecafeangkor.org/
5. The Source Cafe
With both outdoor and indoor seating available, the cafe is not hard to spot along Taphul Rd in Siem Reap with its green foliage-covered terrace. The Source Cafe offers delicious and affordable coffee drinks with healthy foods. You can pop in at any open time for an iced latte/ “juice of the day” accompanied by a coconut cake/ lime cake/ chocolate cake/ veggie hash. From ristrettos to affogatos and espressos, the cafe is simply worth checking out!
- Location: Taphul Rd, Svay Dong Kum, Siem Reap, Siemreab-Otdar Meanchey, Cambodia
- Open Hours: Daily from 8:00 am – 7:00 pm
- Website: N/A (FB)
In a hurry for a latte, or do you just have a craving for caffeine while in Siem Reap? There are numerous places for you to relax and rejuvenate with a cup at hand. Every cafe has a story behind it. Why not solve the mystery?